Monday, September 20, 2004

Fragranced Memories


I saw a set of Pierre Cardin cologne on sale (for cheap!) the other day at Duane Reade, the local drugstore here. It was some Father's Day thing. I remember having that cologne as a kid. I got it one Christmas. I don't remember much about it, though — I guess it was relatively unremarkable. The cologne that I remember really liking as a kid was Rookie, which my quick google search seems to have revealed is both by Avon and 'for boys.' Who knew?! I'm pretty sure it's the same one I had. (The google search also revealed that Rookie can be purchased on ebay! Yowza!) Oh, and of course that li'l tester I had of Lauder for Men, but that was all the way into middle school, so it doesn't really count. Antyganoo, I'm considering buying this Pierre Cardin, just to have it. I love the idea of wearing old colognes like that, especially if they're classic (like Lauder). Of course I'll have to smell it first, but when something is considerably less than $20 and smells fine, you might as well have it. And as I said before, there is an appeal to wearing a cologne you got from the drugstore. It feels like there's something wholesome, old-fashioned about it. It feels, I dunno, 50s or something. Whatever. Beep! Oh, here are the notes in Pierre Cardin, since I tend to provide that kind of thing, you know:

NOTES
Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Lavender, Basil
Carnation, Geranium, Leather, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Orris
Vanilla, Moss, Tonka, Leather, Benzoin, Amber



This is just funny. I saw this review on basenotes and think it's just hilarious. I can't imagine it could be true. It just sounds like a legend created by a marketing department. What say you:

When I was a young man and infatuated with the Duchesse de Guermantes, I would always wear Chanel Pour Monsieur because it seemed to me then, as it still does now, to contain some mysterious essence of aristocracy and sophistication. I would follow the Duchess endlessly until one day I summoned up the courage to address her. 'Madame,' I stammered, 'we have not been introduced but I believe you know my uncle.' 'Young man,' she replied with a frown, 'I do not know your uncle and I find you presumpteous. Furthermore, you have been following me for days. I have only tolerated it because I adore your cologne.' Although the Duchess and I later became friends, I soon enough lost my love for her. However, I have never relinquished my love for Chanel Pour Monsieur.

-marcel , uk , 2004/03/26.



And that's the fragrance beep for now, beepgners!

No comments: